poor Wine performance creating fat dialogs

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Thu Dec 2 02:50:47 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:42:44PM +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Am 26.11.2010 13:39, schrieb Marcus Meissner:
> >On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 01:06:32PM +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> >>I'm investigating running a commercial ERP system under Wine (only
> >>binary available). It mostly works, but creating the main dialogs
> >>for item, customer and such will need around 25 seconds, while
> >>running on Wxx it takes 2-3 seconds. After that, there's no serious
> >>performance impact working on these dialogs.
> >>
> >>The dialogs contain a lot of controls, like 500 or so each, so I
> >>suspect that's what makes things slow.
> >>
> >>I'm willing to investigate this in the wine sources, if it makes
> >>sense. So before I start I'd like to know if there are known or
> >>suspected inefficient code regions that might cause the problem?
> >>Maybe some win<->x11 translation tables that degrade with 1000+
> >>windows? Or has this been observed before, and the problem is
> >>outside of wine's scope?
> >In 1.2.0 there was such a bug which was fixed in 1.2.1. What version
> >do you use? If not, have you tried the current development version?
> >

> Maybe some regression in the git HEAD I'm using?

If it would be a regression, do you know a "good version" which performs
better?

If you can pinpoint a good and a bad version, you can also try running
a "git bisect". See http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting

Given the number of controls there probably are some scaling issues,
not just one :/

ciao, Marcus