Cross-DLL toolbar bitmaps

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Fri Dec 10 09:36:00 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Erich Hoover <ehoover at mines.edu> writes:
> > ...  So, my thought was that it might be desirable to split apart the
> > individual icons, move them all to one centralized location, and then
> > institute a makefile rule for chaining the icons together into toolbar
> > bitmaps.  Any other thoughts?  Does this sound reasonable and worth
> > pursuing?
>
> Probably not. It would be fairly complex and create dependencies on
> external tools. What you can do though is load the bitmaps from
> comctl32 at run-time for things that would be duplicated.

Wine already requires all the build tools you would need to do this in
order to build icons.  It would essentially be the same procedure
except that you'd want to have a "source" toolbar bitmap file
describing the size to use and the list of icons to pull.  Once you
pull out the correct size from each icon then you just feed that list
to ImageMagick:
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/layers/#append

I'm aware that some of these bitmaps are available through comctl32,
but hhctrl.ocx shares a bunch of icons with IE (home, stop, refresh,
etc.).  I imagine you would not approve of adding custom image lists
to comctl32 for handling the icons that overlap between IE and
hhctrl.ocx.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu