The Windows version of the "octave --version" command exposes an uncommon X network transparency issue for wine

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 11:37:37 CST 2010

Alan W. Irwin wrote:
<snipped>
> wineconsole --backend=curses MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/bash.exe
>
> Under that bash if I set the PATH to include the bin directory where
> octave.exe resides and run
>
> octave --version
>
> directly (i.e., not from an X-terminal) I get a good result which
> consists of the usual GNU octave version message.  If I do
> the same thing from my X-terminal (where all X applications like the
> xterm where the wineconsole command is executed are running on a
> remote machine over the office LAN and a local X server on the
> X-terminal box transparently handles the X display, keyboard, and
> mouse), then I get the following errors (subject to rewrapping)
>
> bash.exe-3.1$ octave --version
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
> Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
>
> Serial number of failed request:  208
> Current serial number in output stream:  210
<snipped>

I am still not quite sure about the two different execution environments you
have, but if it is DRI-related, you could try also running Xvfb and setting
DISPLAY to the Xvfb virtual display to see if either of your execution
environments continue to work. AFAIK Xvfb is totally software-based and since
"octave --version" doesn't use X display at all, using Xvfb should be no effect
what so ever.