ntdll/cdrom : implement CDROM_Verify to work on Mac Os

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 09:36:10 CST 2010

maury loïc <lmaury at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Ken and the Wine community,

Please bottom post or post directly to a question.  Please do not top post.

>On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Ken Thomases <ken at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Loïc,
>>
>> On Dec 30, 2010, at 4:20 AM, maury loïc wrote:
>>
>> > it's my first patch, and it implement the CDROM_Verify()
>> > to work on Mac Os.
>>
>> I think most people are going to need more explanation for why this is a
>> legitimate way to implement this function on Mac OS X. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ken
>>

>For what i understood, The function CDROM_Verify(), verify if the media is
>present on the device, and Wine try to open
>the device(in Mac Os case), before call the CDROM_Verify().
>
>But Mac Os manage the device differently from the other Os. It create the
>device, only if the media
>is already present. Logically, CDROM_Verify() return success, because when
>we are in CDROM_Verify()
>we already know the device.
>
>What do you think ?

This has been critically examined by several people and if the solution were this simple it would have been put in place a long time ago.  Charles Davis has spend over a year looking at how to implement CDROM functionality for MacOSX.

So, here is my question:  How can the community be 100% certain that:

1.  The device has EXACTLY the same name on every available MacOSX installation?
2.  How can you be 100% certain that if the 'device' exists that the code will end up in CDROM_Verify()?

James McKenzie
(Another Mac User/Wine Tester.)