Understanding 64bit implications and wine64

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at orange.fr
Mon Feb 8 14:01:12 CST 2010

> If you look closely at the definitions of MCI_xyz_PARMS in MMSYSTEM.H,
> you'll notice that (at least on 32bit systems), despite the different
> types (DWORD, LPSTR, UINT) these structures are originally an array of
> 32bit values.  This regular structure is essential, because the
> MCI command parser has very limited means to know about different
> sizes.  All it knows is MCI_INTEGER, MCI_STRING, MCI_CONSTANT.

actually, this patch is still broken
I originally assumed that the MCI structs were 8-byte aligned on WIN64,
which is wrong
actually, it's 4 byte aligned, meaning that we need some more work on
MCI string parser to take care of this

> An app that sends an MCI_xyz command sends a pointer to such an array,
> decorated as MCI_xyz_PARMSA/W for nicer access.  Alternatively, when
> using mciSendString, the MCI parser builds this array of
> DWORD elements, then calls the MCI command.  In recent Wine, this has
> become an array of DWORD_PTR instead.
> wine-tests may work because Wine is cnosistent with itself, but
> How can this possibly work without breaking binary compatibility?

in that case, we (likely) need to write integral values as DWORD (on
both 32 and 64 bit systems) and strings & pointers as DWORD_PTR
A+

--
Eric Pouech
"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot." (Douglas Adams)