Student Interested in Contributing to Wine

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:27:49 CST 2010

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Michael Griepentrog
<mgriepentrog at wisc.edu> wrote:
> I'm primarily interested in improving the Wine experience on OS X. I read pages from http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX, but I'm not sure how much of that reflects the current direction of Wine development on Mac. What are the immediate needs for improving Wine on OS X? Off hand, I know Wine doesn't compile on Snow Leopard as a 64-bit binary (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=31321), but it seems like this issue isn't limited to OS X. I'm also curious about the status of the Quartz driver, and if it's something that is still being pursued. Creating a binary distributable also seems like something that should be addressed, but I understand that isn't necessarily easy given how applications are "installed" on OS X.

A quartz driver is far beyond the scope of a SoC project.  Stay away from that.

Otherwise, you might want to play around with Wine on MacOS yourself
for a while, and get the hang of it.  It becomes pretty clear pretty
quickly that using a Windows app on MacOS doesn't "feel" much like a
Mac app.  Much of that we can't change, but some of it could be
better.  It looks and behaves more like a UNIX port, which of course
it is, so if you can think of ways to improve it, that'll go some ways
toward a credible application.  There are probably a few open bugs
about Wine on MacOS too, you might have a look at those.

Good luck,
--Juan