Using assert() in wine dll code

Paul Chitescu paulc at voip.null.ro
Wed Feb 24 07:34:53 CST 2010

Hi!

Recently I've run into excessive use of assertions in some code after a
regression was caused by one of my commits. A parameter that came from the
application was "validated" this way.

The code in question is in quartz.dll but there are asserts in many other
places, a short grep in the dlls directory found 1387 of them...

I suggest we carefully evaluate asserts from wine dll code. Only locally
computed conditions should trigger an assertion failure (in case we have
coding errors). Parameters received from function calls should either return
an error (and possibly a WARN or ERR message) or segfault if Windows does the
same (so a handler would potentially catch the proper exception).

Would this qualify as a task or tasklet?

Paul Chitescu