Fwd: The (Casual) Game Support Report in Wine (Jan 2009)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:35:34 CST 2010

whoops, sending to list as well!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
Date: 2010/1/6
Subject: Re: The (Casual) Game Support Report in Wine (Jan 2009)
To: Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com>

2010/1/5 Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com>:

>  2/  the major issues appear to be in the application launchers used
> by different game providers (most of which are in the current wine
> implementation of the IE browser ActiveX control);

Curious question: you tested with IE6, how do things work if you
install IE7? Any better?

(I installed IE7 with winetricks to see if I could get the ActiveX
control for our work VPN going. It didn't work, and I didn't expect it
to - it uses ActiveX to completely take over and try to secure a
Windows installation, and I think it just recoiled in horror when it
found itself in Wine on Linux - but I routinely use it now to check
website rendering. It's really horrible. But useful.)

- d.