IHlink::Navigate mystery value

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 8 01:48:50 CST 2010

2010/1/7 Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com>:
> The last call in IHlink::Navigate is to IHlinkSite::OnNavigationComplete.
>  This function takes an HRESULT argument which, according to MSDN, should
> contain the final result of the navigation.  Again, according to MSDN,
> IHlink::Navigate should return S_OK on success, error otherwise.

MSDN says that the HRESULT is for the

Is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767919%28VS.85%29.aspx
(hyperlinking) useful?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa740928%28VS.85%29.aspx
(hyperlinking tutorial) is linked from there and contains sections of
code for various IHlinkTarget and IHlink related methods.

Of interest is the bit under "Jumping to the hyperlink target" --
according to MSDN: "The following code is a theoretical implementation
of a hyperlink object. The system-provided hyperlink object uses
similar code." It proceeds to show some code of what an
IHlink::Navigate call is doing.

> Of course, reality is different from what MSDN claims.  On native,
> IHlinkSite::OnNavigationComplete is consistently called by IHlink::Navigate
> with its HRESULT argument set to 0x40100.  I have no idea what this value is
> supposed to represent.  Every Windows version with an hlink DLL, on both x86
> and x86_64, passes 0x40100 to the IHlinkSite when IHlink::Navigate is
> called.  It doesn't seem to matter what the target of the navigation is
> (website, file on filesystem).  See the tests linked below.

The code above is using different methods to locate an IHlinkTarget
object, and then calling the Navigate method on that (and presumably
returning the HRESULT of that call, although the code listed does not
return anything).

NOTE: The test is incomplete (there are a lot of methods on the
interfaces that are returning E_NOTIMPL), especially the
QueryInterface and QueryService methods.

- Reece