How should AVI files be detected in avifile?

Julius Schwartzenberg julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:40:46 CST 2010

Hi,

Maybe you know, I hope to submit several fixes and tests for avifile
soon. Vitaliy Margolen pointed out I should be create proper temporary
files in the system's tmp directory so I implemented this. This actually
showed a new bug in Wine's avifile:

Wine's avifile does not handle normal avi files with an filename
extension different than avi (f.e. tmp), while Windows XP's avifile has
no problems with those at all.

The problem is in this part of the code:
http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/avifil32/api.c#L244

I discussed it with Roderick a bit on IRC and he said the whole registry
check is flawed and there should be detection for AVI files based on the
content of the file. I then did some tests and replaced line 247 (return
AVIERR_UNSUPPORTED;) with "clsidHandler = CLSID_AVIFile;" which always
forces the correct handler for AVI files. With that change I get the
exact same behaviour as on Windows:
Proper AVI files always work, irregardless of their filename extension.
Files in which I replaced "AVI LIST" (the magic with which AVI files can
be detected) with "AV2 LIST" in a hex editor fail on both Windows and
Wine. On both they immediately fail with the error that my file is not
an AVI file.

So this means that there already is proper detection in Wine based on
the content of the file! There is just one extra obstacle in front now.

I'm not very familiar (yet) with COM, CLASS IDs and how files are
generally handled in Wine. Also I don't really know much about VFW, I
especially cannot imagine what other files than AVI files would need to
be read using avifile (but from the code I except this is possible). So
my question is:
What do you think would be an appropriate way to solve this? Should I
just remove the obstacle or add my change? Or do something completely
different? Also if anyone can shed more light on the current idea behind
the code, this would be welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance,
Julius