Student Interested in Google Summer of Code 2010

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Jan 28 05:27:00 CST 2010

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 23:41:27 Henri Verbeet wrote:
> The problem with the effect interface is that there are several fairly
> large parts/dependencies to implement. For example, it has important
> dependencies on both the (non-existent) HLSL compiler and the only
> partially merged shader assembler
There's another problem with any d3dx9 project: You cannot test a small subset
of D3DX9 with any real-word game if the rest of the library is missing because
no games use only the event interface or use only the assembler etc.

Matteo faced this issue - there was no game that used the assembler, but
didn't use some of the Font or Texture loading code Tony was working on. This
meant he could only test with test cases written himself and had no success
moment when a real game started working without native d3dx9 thanks to his
work.

So before any further d3dx9 projects have a realistic chance at succeeding we
need the existing code merged. If necessary I can pick up Matteo's patches,
split them up and send them in, although it would be preferable if Matteo
could do this himself.