Student Interested in Google Summer of Code 2010

Loïc Hoguin essen at dev-extend.eu
Thu Jan 28 12:46:07 CST 2010

On 01/28/2010 06:33 PM, Tony Wasserka wrote:
> About my own work, it's not been integrated that much, yet:  Loïc Hoguin
> has expressed interest to integrate them, but I'm not sure whether he
> was sure about that, yet.
> I might work again on integrating my texture stuff in case you'd really
> participate in gsoc with some d3dx stuff, can't promise anything though.
> Arjun: Check
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2010-January/081160.html and
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2010-January/081288.html to
> see what this is about. Contact me on IRC at #winehackers (my Nick is
> BigBrain) in case you're still interested after that ;)

If a student wishes to do the integration work as a SoC project, then
I'll step down. It'll certainly be more helpful for a student than for
me. I can find another project to work on in that case.

My main motivation about it is that I have 3 games which are using only
a small subset of the D3DX functions: textures and math. The math is
already done, so all that remains is the texture code. Specifically, the
following functions:

D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface
D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFileInMemory
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx
D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory
D3DXCreateTexture

With those implemented the games Touhou 10, 11 and 12 should work in
wine without native DLLs. They're my priority. And probably a good test
case.

I also have games that use the font code so that would also benefit me
in the long term (Trine imports D3DXCreateFontIndirectA for example, not
sure if it uses it for anything important though).

I don't think I have a game that uses the mesh code so, sorry, I have no
interest about that.

Other than that I'm also interested in seeing vertex blending make it
into wine (other than the software patch), but from what I understand it
depends on Stefan's work, and to be honest it sounds too complicated for
me at this point. But maybe it would be a good student project? It's all
there is missing for a number of older games to work perfectly.

If a student wants to work on any of those then don't worry about me,
I'll find something else to do. And I'll be here to help test if there's
any need.

Otherwise I'll proceed with the font code.

--
Loïc Hoguin
mel: essen at dev-extend.eu
web: http://dev-extend.eu