back from Russia... learning d3dx9

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:59:39 CDT 2010

Hi All:

Just wanted to let y'all know you seem to have great progress towards
wine 1.2. I am eagerly awaiting its release so that I can start
submitting more patches.

Meanwhile, I am learning background material for D3DX9.

Along with the wonderful book Dan recommended:
http://www.d3dcoder.net/d3d9c.aspx

I have also found a very useful tutorial:
http://www.directxtutorial.com/

Additionally, if anyone is curious as to how to compile DirectX 9.0
applications using MingW, I have found the following command to be
useful:
i586-mingw32msvc-g++ test.cpp -o test.exe -fcheck-new
-Idxsdk/DXSDK/Include -ld3d9 dxsdk/DXSDK/Lib/x86/d3dx9.lib

This assumes that one downloads the DirectX SDK June 2010 version from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3021d52b-514e-41d3-ad02-438a3ba730ba

You will have a file named:
DXSDK_June10.exe

To extract:
cd placewhereyoursourcefilesare
mkdir dxsdk
cd dxsdk
cabextract /pathtofile/DXSDK_June10.exe

In any case, good luck with getting closer to 1.2 release!

Misha

p.s. As was the case when I previously worked on wine, I am setting up a
copy of Windows 98 for crosstest checks. I am not sure this is strictly
necessary (I use XP 64 VMWared as my main crosstest version) - or that
DirectX 9 will even work in this version (although it says so per web
site), but in any case better safe than sorry.