Inserting commits fyi... I think this might do the trick

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 12:30:24 CDT 2010

Thank you all for your comments. I still seem to be losing commits. However
I have found a reference that seems like it might do the trick and wanted to
share with others.

Specifically, the key is to mark edit in interactive rebase on the commit
one desires to split.

Next one does a git reset HEAD^ to revert the commit.

Then, one can create one or more commits without the --amend parameter.

Finally one does git rebase --continue

Sorry if this is already known to all of you but I have been chasing
disappearing commits for a few days now and this seems like quite useful
knowledge.

Misha

http://book.git-scm.com/4_interactive_rebasing.html