List of Video cards in directx.c

Seth Shelnutt shelnutt2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:16:06 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Roderick Colenbrander <
thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:

> The PCI id is something else. For instance run 'lspci -x':
> 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon
> HD 34xx Series]
> 00: 02 10 28 aa 07 01 10 40 00 00 03 04 10 00 80 00
> ..
>
> This line shows a part of the PCI configuration header. The first two
> bytes contain the PCI vendor id (0x1002 = ATI; you have to swap the
> bytes) and byte 3 and 4 contain the PCI device id (0xaa28 = radeon
> 3450). Each device has such information and it is used by the
> operating system to detect which hardware is around.
>
> A lot of games use the PCI id, since it can be easier to parse than
> the renderer strings.

That makes sense. I had based my thinking on the following comment,

A Direct3D device object contains the PCI id (vendor + device) of the
videocard which is used for rendering.

I had assumed vendor + device meant the strings.

> We have to keep the current static database. Extending it with video
> memory reporting is likely the best way to go. So now and then it just
> means that we have to refine it a little.
>
> Roderick

Thinking things over I think you are right. Trying to add any kind of
dynamic support at this stage is not worth it. Even the memory reporting is
very recent and new. Maybe in a couple years more support will have
materialized from opengl or the drivers to help with this issue. For now
though I just submitted a patch to deal with the issue of a 8500/8400 being
reported as a 8300. I moved the detection to be reported as an 8600. I
thought about creating a new 8500 in the database but I realized that an
8600 is of feature parity and has the same video memory minimum.

Thanks,

Seth Shelnutt