Manifests, Microsoft.VC90.CRT and vc_redist

Peter Urbanec winehq.org at urbanec.net
Mon Jul 12 11:44:42 CDT 2010

  On 12/07/10 20:44, Paul Chitescu wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 12:49:02 pm Peter Urbanec wrote:
>> Wine itself provides msvcr90.dll.so, which as far as I can tell doesn't
>> play the manifest games or provide any particular version number.
>>
>> Should I be using msvcr90.dll from VC redist?
>>
>> Should I be using msvcr90.dll.so provided by wine? If so, how do I tell
>> wine to ignore manifests and just load the DLLs found in the app dir?
>>
>> Thanks for any insights you could provide.
>

> You need a special manifest to redistribute the VC runtimes in the
> application's directory. This is provided with Visual C++ (but not with the
> Express edition that doesn't allow you to distribute the created
> applications).

I am already using "Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\redist\amd64\Microsoft.VC90.CRT" from a full blown install of
Visual Studio 2008, which includes a manifest. Is that the manifest you
mean?

This manifest does not include any redirections and so I run into the
problem listed in the Caveats section of this blog entry:
http://blog.helgeklein.com/2010/03/deploying-visual-c-runtime-files-as.html

I'm still not quite sure whether I need to persist with distributing the
MSVC provided DLLs or whether I can use the wine implementation instead.

Can I get wine to ignore the manifests and just load DLLs from the app
directory?