Manifests, Microsoft.VC90.CRT and vc_redist

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 12:03:19 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Peter Urbanec <winehq.org at urbanec.net>wrote:

> Can I get wine to ignore the manifests and just load DLLs from the app
> directory?
>

> I am not sure if our loader was every updated to mimic this behavior
(Alexandre and I discussed it before), but older versions of windows used to
support local dlloverriding by making a dummy file called appname.exe.local
and placing that in the same folder of the application and the dlls you want
to load. For example, say you have iexplore.exe and you want to force using
some local dlls for testing, you can create a dummy file called
iexplore.exe.local which would be placed in the same folder.

Like I said, I don't know if support for this was added to Wine, iTunes and
Internet Explorer 5 both made use of this behavior under Windows 2000 and
it's possible the behavior has changed in newer windows versions.

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards

"There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is
an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo