dlls/ntdll/file.c: Use FIXME_ONCE for quieter reports.

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 16:57:25 CDT 2010

On 14 July 2010 22:57, Max TenEyck Woodbury <max at mtew.isa-geek.net> wrote:
> 1) No, I am not replacing all 'FIXME's with 'FIXME_ONCE's. I'm working
> on things labeled 'stub' or equivalent. Also 'FIXME's that do not have
> any additional information. I went over the files that bug 15435 said
> were too noisy. There are almost certainly many other places
> 'FIXME_ONCE' can be used.

Actually, since this seems to come up from time to time, let me go and
explicitly say it. I think bug 15435 is mildly offensive at best.
There are basically two claims at the basis of that bug report: "debug
output confuses users" and "debug output makes log analysis hard". For
the first claim, I'd like to think most of our users aren't complete
idiots, so I find this hard to believe. Regardless, debug output isn't
meant for users, so if you don't want to see debug output run with
WINEDEBUG=-all, or don't run from the terminal in the first place. The
second claim actively offends me though, because it basically comes
down to "I think developers are idiots". If, as a developer who
actually does analyze those logs, I really thought those FIXMEs made
my life so much harder I would've changed them myself. I like to think
I'm capable enough of deciding for myself which debug output I like to
see, and I imagine other actual developers are as well.

That's not to say there aren't FIXMEs that would be better of only
being printed once, but please leave those kinds of decisions to
qualified developers familiar with the code in question.