[6/6] shlwapi/tests: Correct the prototype of the StrRetToBSTR function pointer.

Andrew Nguyen anguyen at codeweavers.com
Thu Jul 22 07:03:37 CDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 06:03 AM, Paul Vriens wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 12:31 PM, Andrew Nguyen wrote:
>>>
>>> This patchset introduces crashes in these tests on W2K, XP and W2K3:
>>>
>>> http://test.winehq.org/data/tests/shlwapi:string.html
>>>
>>> Further than that it seems that none of the test are run on several
>>> platforms now.
>>>
>>> If I look at my Win98 box I get "The xx.exe file is linked to missing
>>> export SHELL32.DLL:StrChrA"
>>>
>>> and on some Vista+ boxes (not on my Vista for example):
>>>
>>> http://testbot.winehq.org/JobDetails.pl?Key=3663&scrshot_106=1#k106
>>>
>>> Could you have a look? Notice the mentioning of SHELL32 in those errors.
>>>

>> Hmm, I'm skeptical that the patches are directly responsible for the
>> crashes.
>>
>> The shlwapi string tests with the patches were first run for build
>> 061eb12ca39d (July 20) without issues. What's really peculiar in the
>> results you linked is that the shlwapi tests are being skipped entirely
>> on almost all platforms except for Win2k/XP/Win2k3, which was not the
>> case previously.
>>
>> The only changes between build 061eb12ca39d and the latest that I can
>> see for dlls/shlwapi/tests is Alexandre's global changes to the DLL
>> imports (commit b86d515ed6c3) and Andrew Eikum's change to shlwapi which
>> introduced a test and a corresponding import for shell32 (commit
>> d6a827d08315). I'll investigate further.
>
> Andrew Eikum's patch looks like a good candidate as StrChrA for example
> can be found in both shell32 and shlwapi. We probably need to do more
> explicit function loading.

There are a few things I'm wondering about:

When the winetest shlwapi binary was built, what made the compiler
decide to import shell32 for the problematic string functions? Neither
my local cross-compile build nor the build that the test bot performs
seemed to do this. I notice that shell32 is the first import listed in
dlls/shlwapi/tests/Makefile.in. Was it possible that the listed import
order influenced how the compiler linked the string functions, and would
changing the import order be preferable to explicitly loading string
functions that seem to be available on all shlwapi versions?

Also, how is the skip detection for the case of a purported unavailable
DLL done? It seems strange that the shlwapi tests were skipped entirely
on various platforms when shlwapi should have been available for testing.