wiki slightly broken still?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:35:26 CDT 2010

On 28 July 2010 21:49, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 13:05 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:

>> Creating new wiki pages seems broken today...

> Yes, due to all the spam, we've hit the ext3 limit
> of subdirectories (32k). More here:
>    http://www.rooftopsolutions.nl/blog/135
> I'm looking into how we can clean this up.

Ubuntu hit this one:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/moin/+bug/217191
http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinBugs/AllPagesSavedToSingleDirectory

The other solution is permanent deletion of the spam pages from the
actual file system. I've done such pruning before, and it needs
(obviously) to be done with *remarkable* care. It's also very fiddly.
I eventually cobbled together scripts to do the deletion for me. (At
an old workplace, I don't have them to hand.) The MoinMoin page above
lists maintenance scripts that can do it for you.

They also suggest moving the wiki directories to a filesystem that can
allow stupid amounts of directories, like XFS. (Even ext4 only scales
to 64,000 directories.)

MoinMoin 2.0 will apparently use a database instead of flat files.
ETA: some time or other in the far future. "we can't tell exactly when
the new storage stuff will be production ready, but I expect end 2008
.. mid 2009." Ahem.

Oh, and moinmo.in regards this as not being a "bug", but the result of
bad file system design. (And not, e.g., a wiki that doesn't scale.)

- d.