Xinput / DirectInput xbox360 controller support

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:38:52 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Alexandre Julliard
<julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm wondering how to proceed with XInput. My main issue is the
>> 'joystick access part'. Would it be fine to directly access the
>> controller from Xinput (so we would need multiple hardware backends
>> later on). Code size won't be a problem though since XInput doesn't
>> support much functionality at all (the current mostly working version
>> is less than 500 lines of code; half of that is for the Linux
>> backend). One small issue is though that DirectInput and XInput might
>> have to cooperate since typically games use DirectInput to enumerate
>> all joysticks, see for instance
>
> That sort of thing should really go through X11.

I agree this stuff should work through X11 but it still isn't ready
for this stuff. There is joystick support (it might have improved
thanks to XInput2) but there is no support for force feedback (though
they took that into account for the protocol). Not sure if they will
add it though since the trend seems to solve problems outside of X11
instead of fixing it in there...

Roderick