gnome-exe-thumbnailer -- using embedded icons for .exe and .dll files

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 02:57:55 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> Screenshot/blog here: http://yokozar.org/blog/archives/225
>
> A bug was fixed recently in Gnome that allows thumbnailers to not be
> 96x96 pixels.  Combine this with a standard Wine icon, icoutils for
> extracting an exe/dll's embedded icon, and a bit of magic and you can
> get icons like those above.
>
> The version numbers come from the .exe metadata.  I think it's really
> slick, and will try and have it installed by default with Wine 1.2.  At
> the moment it exists as thumbnailer code for Gnome, which means other
> desktops won't benefit, however provided they can be told to run a
> script to generate an icon it should be fairly easy to port.
>
> Code is available in the gnome-exe-thumbnailer source package here:
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa
>
> Please note that this is an updated version of the proof of concept
> gnome-exe-thumbnailer package I put in Lucid (which is ugly and uses the
> overly large 96x96 icons, and is thus not default and has so far gone
> unnoticed).
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

The icons look cute and I like the version numbers, but you can't
thumbnail all Windows files outside Wine - for example .lnk files
internally specify a C:\path\to\file.ico style path to the icon which
then requires Wine's drive settings to resolve (or worse, use the file
extension's default icon from the Windows registry).

I am planning to add thumbnailing for .exe files to Wine's
winemenubuilder when my .lnk thumbnailing patch gets accepted -
probably post Wine 1.2. In addition Windows has its own thumbnailing
mechanism that applications can register with, which Wine could
integrate into freedesktop.org as well at some stage.

Your new wineglass icon looks good. Could you please send a patch to
replace programs/winemenubuilder/wine.xpm with your one? Also, with
the recent patches, winemenubuilder should hardly ever generate the
wineglass for menus any more.

Thank you
Damjan Jovanovic