new winetricks 20100618: new verbs dxsdk_nov2006, windowscodecs

Andrew Nguyen arethusa26 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 22:27:15 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andrew Nguyen
>> Add windowscodecs
>
> Um, I'm planning to break this soon. We need additional decoders for
> d3dx dlls, and I've been told not to make a new dll for them. That
> means they either have to go into windowscodecs or individual d3dx
> dll's, and putting them in windowscodecs seems to make more sense.
>
> Since native won't have these decoders, it will break builtin d3dx.

I'm not quite sure what the correct way to deal with this situation
would be, if we want to address this at all. I figure that most users
of games that rely on the D3DX utility DLLs usually won't have any
reason to install the WIC redist, and most of the time, they would
have cause to install the native d3dx9_*.dll libraries to work around
unimplemented functionality, which would sidestep the issue.

I suppose, given that winetricks does offer verbs that potentially
break builtins, the issue could simply be ignored, or a warning could
be issued regarding the potential issue, if you think that's merited.