(Resent) Documentation - Reference to MSDN?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Jun 30 14:13:00 CDT 2010

Erich Hoover <ehoover at mines.edu> writes:

> Alright, well then I won't do it.  Is the existing documentation going
> to be stripped at some point?  It seems to me like we would benefit
> from more-detailed function descriptions in the auto-generated API
> documentation.  I think it would save a lot of time for new developers
> to get their feet wet if they were able to see directly in the source
> what the different functions are supposed to do (as best as we know)
> and exactly what applications will trigger known edge cases (or if
> there's a test for a given situation).

That's what the source code and test cases are for. If you rely on the
function documentation you are in trouble anyway, nobody bothers to
update it when new behaviors are discovered.

If you really want to write good API documentation, as opposed to the
current useless one-sentence-per-parameter description, you'd need
probably a text 10 times the size of the source code for each
function. That can't go in the source files.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org