winmm/midi tests and VMware

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:19:01 CST 2010

On 03/02/2010 04:05 PM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Instead of trying to work around the problem, could you try to find out
> exactly where and why it is hanging first?

Hi Maarten,

I've been in talks with Jörg for several weeks now trying to figure out
why it fails. I tried dozens of combinations of OS and drivers.

The hang is at the midiOutReset() call in test_midiOut_device().
Commenting that one makes it hang in midiOutClose(). Or at least the
last ok() message was just before those (as can be seen with
WINETEST_REPORT_SUCCESS enabled). This as said is not for the
synthesizer but for the 'real' device.

I always try to find out where things go wrong before trying to invent a
work around. At this point in time I can only point the finger at VMware
in combination with NT/W2K/XP (and the standard Creative driver).

W2K3 and Vista+ use a VMware audio driver and don't exhibit this issue.
Not sure why win9x doesn't have an issue.

My workaround works only for XP btw. so it seems that also needs a re-think.

On to more testing.

--
Cheers,

Paul.