winmm/midi tests and VMware

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 10:38:04 CST 2010

On 03/02/2010 04:19 PM, Paul Vriens wrote:
> On 03/02/2010 04:05 PM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
>> Instead of trying to work around the problem, could you try to find out
>> exactly where and why it is hanging first?
>>
> Hi Maarten,
>
> I've been in talks with Jörg for several weeks now trying to figure out
> why it fails. I tried dozens of combinations of OS and drivers.
>
> The hang is at the midiOutReset() call in test_midiOut_device().
> Commenting that one makes it hang in midiOutClose(). Or at least the
> last ok() message was just before those (as can be seen with
> WINETEST_REPORT_SUCCESS enabled). This as said is not for the
> synthesizer but for the 'real' device.
>
> I always try to find out where things go wrong before trying to invent a
> work around. At this point in time I can only point the finger at VMware
> in combination with NT/W2K/XP (and the standard Creative driver).
>
> W2K3 and Vista+ use a VMware audio driver and don't exhibit this issue.
> Not sure why win9x doesn't have an issue.
>
> My workaround works only for XP btw. so it seems that also needs a
> re-think.
>
> On to more testing.

FWIW, this already fails:

START_TEST(midi)
{
     MMRESULT rc;
     HMIDIOUT hm;

     rc = midiOutOpen(&hm, 1, 0, 0, CALLBACK_NULL);
     ok(!rc, "midiOutOpen(dev=%d) rc=%s\n", 1, mmsys_error(rc));
     rc = midiOutReset(hm);
     ok(!rc, "midiOutReset rc=%s\n", mmsys_error(rc));
     rc = midiOutClose(hm);
     ok(!rc, "midiOutClose rc=%s\n", mmsys_error(rc));
}

it hangs (doesn't return) in the midiOutReset() call.

--
Cheers,

Paul.