winmm/midi tests and VMware

Julius Schwartzenberg julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 13:47:16 CST 2010

Paul Vriens wrote:
> I give up. Tried several combinations on XP (old and newer driver with
> or without waveset files), to no avail.

I found a solution. The earlier stuff I wrote here is completely
unrelated. The Creative soft-synth included with the drivers using the
wave sets works fine.

It's the external midi stuff that hangs. This is likely because VMware's
MPU-401 emulation is non-existent. (Normally I understand this would go
to the wide jack on your soundcard.)

To solve the problem you have to remove the MPU device. Open
inf\wdma_ens.inf in the Windows directory and remove all lines and
sections with UART in them. When using drivers from Creative, you need
to extract them manually first and do the same thing with the included
inf file (in addition to the one above for some reason!).

This will prevent the MPU-401 device from installing. You should have
just the soft-syths which should not cause any programs to hang.

Regards,
Julius