RFC: development of RAS / Modem dialup

Jeff Zaroyko jeffzaroyko at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 23:05:47 CST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Gerold Jens Wucherpfennig
<gjwucherpfennig at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to do some development work for RAS-dialup (modem).
> The problem is, that I have no telephone connection where I can plug in
> my modem. Does anybody has any idea if there is an modem emulator for
> Windows?
>
> Regards,
> Gerold

Hi Gerold

Here are some comments:

I think what manufacturers provide is a tsp (tapi service provider)
which is a dll with several exported functions that might communicate
with a driver or the generic ones open a serial port.

Tapi clients, like any windows applications or the Windows RAS system
use the tsp to manage dialing/hanging up the "modem".

You could write a dummy tsp for testing RAS functions in the wine
testsuite, which would be registered and unregistered during the
tests, I don't think it's strictly necessary or easy to test with a
real modem.  Though I'm not sure how far you'll need to go with the
dummy tsp when testing, eg providing dummy pap/chap auth and pppd to
answer on the other end.

RAS also includes Virtual Private Networking on later versions of
Windows, not sure what approach one might take to testing that as it
requires a server to connect successfully.

Good luck, implementing the required tapi32 functionality for
rasapi32, figuring out how to integrate with linux (or other)
ppp/network services as well as the address book stuff sounds like
fun.

Out of interest, are you doing this for a particular application?

-Jeff