Is there something we can do about Java?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 02:28:53 CST 2010

On 10 March 2010 02:31, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ben Klein wrote:

>> I won't tell you about the Java (esp swing) apps I've seen that hit
>> NPE on *nix but work fine on Windows ...

> Bingo.  Good code does not make assumptions, but checks for presence and
> gives an appropriate error when whatever is not found.

We are of course talking about programming on Windows ...

The question is not "is it broken?" The question is "are there real
apps that work on Windows, for whatever value of 'works,' that don't
work in Wine?"

i.e. the apps that fail stupidly in Wine without Java, what do they
actually do on Windows without Java?

- d.