measuring audio latency?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Mar 10 10:32:25 CST 2010

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Dan Kegel wrote:
[...]
> Yes, absolutely, but it'd be good to make this measurement easy
> to repeat by anybody interested.  To do that, let's just loop the
> audio output back into the audio input.  The user will have to
> provide a loopback cable

Won't the DirectSound capture latency come into play too?

Unless we are able to put a precise timestamp on each capture sample
independently of when it gets to the Winelib application it seems to me
that all we can mesure is the latency of the sound output + capture
loop.

If the total latency is low then we're in great shape. If it's too high
then we should remember this and try to figure out how much each side
contributes to the latency.

               If you think the whole world revolves around you,
                 quit staring at the GPS display while driving.