The shlwapi:istream tests and Microsoft Security Essentials

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 09:20:45 CDT 2010

On 16 March 2010 13:27, Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering why I (out of all those boxes) had several failures for
> these tests on some of my XP and Vista boxes.

I was wondering the same.

> Turns out that you get these failures when MSE is active. I just ran the
> tests on a clean XP-SP3 box (up-to-date) and no failures. Installing MSE
> (and downloading the latest signatures) is enough to show a multitude of
> test failures. Turning 'real time monitoring' off or excluding the test
> executable makes the tests succeed again.
>
> Most of the failures are of the E_ACCESSDENIED nature btw.

This is interesting. I wonder if it is because MSE is locking the file
so it can scan it for viruses, so when the next test gets run, the
istream test cannot access that file and so gets an E_ACCESSDENIED
back.

> Does this make sense?

Yes.

> If the test failures are valid, should I change the tests to cope with this?

The test failures look valid in this case (MSE may be installed on a
test system), so a change similar to
http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=commitdiff;h=1571337c0366b27e819851d7cdec4a7bc1ce7690
should be done.

- Reece