The shlwapi:istream tests and Microsoft Security Essentials

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 09:56:46 CDT 2010

On 03/16/2010 03:20 PM, Reece Dunn wrote:
> On 16 March 2010 13:27, Paul Vriens<paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering why I (out of all those boxes) had several failures for
>> these tests on some of my XP and Vista boxes.
>
> I was wondering the same.
>
>> Turns out that you get these failures when MSE is active. I just ran the
>> tests on a clean XP-SP3 box (up-to-date) and no failures. Installing MSE
>> (and downloading the latest signatures) is enough to show a multitude of
>> test failures. Turning 'real time monitoring' off or excluding the test
>> executable makes the tests succeed again.
>>
>> Most of the failures are of the E_ACCESSDENIED nature btw.
>
> This is interesting. I wonder if it is because MSE is locking the file
> so it can scan it for viruses, so when the next test gets run, the
> istream test cannot access that file and so gets an E_ACCESSDENIED
> back.

I never had this issue with either "Microsoft Defender" or the Avast!
Home Edition virus scanner.

>> Does this make sense?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If the test failures are valid, should I change the tests to cope with this?
>
> The test failures look valid in this case (MSE may be installed on a
> test system), so a change similar to
> http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=commitdiff;h=1571337c0366b27e819851d7cdec4a7bc1ce7690
> should be done.

The thing is that depending on the mode/flag the failures start at a
different place. I'll see if I can create something generic or whether
the flags indicate something (don't think so as several runs produces
different output).

--
Cheers,

Paul.