Google Summer of Code ideas

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Mar 22 12:49:36 CDT 2010

Hi,

I intend to participate in the Google Summer of Code this year, and I
have several ideas for Wine that I'd like to bounce off you guys to see
what you think. Note that all my proposals are Mac OS-based (I run Mac
OS X), so many of you will never see the results of what I'm working on.

Here they are:

1. Quartz Driver. This is something a lot of Wine-on-Mac users (myself
included) have been wanting for while now. Of course, the entire driver
itself is a big project, so I would limit the scope to implementing a
small piece of it--say, windowing (which shouldn't be too hard thanks to
my new "Deobjectivizer" tool)--and then finishing what I started after
SoC ends.

2. QuickTime backend for DirectShow. This is is similar to the GStreamer
backend, but it won't require people to install GStreamer on Mac just to
get this support. To get 64-bit support, we have to use the Cocoa
version of QuickTime, but again, thanks to Deobjectivizer, we can avoid
writing it in Objective-C.

3. Implementing SCSI support on Mac OS X. I had patches to do this, but
I deleted them because I thought they were inadequate. I want to do this
to get copy protection working for some games on Mac OS X.

Comments welcome.

Chip