Google Summer of Code ideas

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Mar 22 15:39:26 CDT 2010

On 3/22/10 12:56 PM, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> I think the problem with this is that it needs a proper driver
infrastructure
> and putting some code from winex11 that belongs into user32 there. Nobody
> knows how to do it, so it is certainly beyond the scope of a gsoc
project. We
> tried it before(DIB engine), and it failed miserably.

I get that, but I want to at least have a foundation for future work in
this area.

On 3/22/10 12:22 PM, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:

> I'd rather see the current gstreamer code finished and integrated
> before we perhaps add an additional backend. There are so many issues
> which still need to be sorted out (I believe our audio/video rendering
> code needs improvements and so on).

Now I'm having second thoughts about this (I know very little about
DirectShow), if that's what I have to do to pave the way for a QuickTime
backend. Then again, this might be a good learning experience.

On 3/22/10 12:56 PM, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Sounds cool, although I am wondering what happened to the GStreamer
code. Was
> it merged?

No. (See above.)

On 3/22/10 12:22 PM, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> This might be useful. Not sure how trivial it is. Like Transgaming did
> in the past, this might require a custom osx scsi driver but note I'm
> not a osx user, so no idea if thiat's needed.
On 3/22/10 12:56 PM, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> My sense is that this mainly needs a replacement cdrom driver, which should
> stay outside of the Wine tree in a separate project(Correct me if I am wrong).
> That's not necessarily a blocker for making this a Wine gsoc project - it
> would even mean that you don't have to get all your code past Alexandre.

Yeah, now I remember we all agreed (AJ included) that we'd need to write
our own driver.

I have one, I just need to start a SourceForge project or something for
it. But the driver doesn't support SCSI IOCTLs yet.

One more thing: is there an echo in here? :)

Chip