Summer of Code applicant with ambition!

John Koelndorfer jkoelndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:34:36 CDT 2010

Hello wine-devel,

My name is John and I'm a computer science major at the University of
Minnesota, Twin Cities campus. I've made quite a bit of use of Wine before
(and I have purchased Crossover) and I'm inspired to give something back to
the project.

I have fairly ambitious goals for myself (maybe too much so) so I wanted to
let you guys know who I am and what I'd like to do, then hopefully gain some
insight into whether or not what I am considering is reasonable. My
experience is roughly as follows:

* I am familiar with C. I'm not an expert developer by any stretch but I can
certainly get by. I have some knowledge of Git.
* I don't have any Windows development experience outside of some exposure
to .NET a long time ago.
* I have not submitted a patch to the Wine project. I hope to change this in
the near future. I've looked at a little bit of the source code.
* I have high standards for myself. Whether or not they are high enough to
meet Alexandre's expectations... perhaps time will tell. :-)
* I'm a really fast learner. Maybe this is my single most redeeming quality.

All that being said, my goal for the summer would be to really dig into the
D3D stuff, optimizing what is already completed and adding to what is not.
I'm a gamer myself, so I have an arsenal of programs with which to test (and
a Windows installation to compare to). Do you think this goal is reasonable?
If not, I could start somewhere smaller and work my way up. I'm certainly
open to suggestions.

Thanks!

John