Release plans

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed May 12 12:49:51 CDT 2010

>On 05/09/2010 05:00 PM, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> Edward Savage <epssyis at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Would it be worthwhile to put together some sort of release
>>> announcement detailing changes and improvements in Wine between 1 and
>>> 1.2? Some thing similar to what other projects release that tech sites
>>> can pickup and talk about.  Maybe even a more formal press release
>>> style document.
>>
>> We definitely need a release changelog, yes.
>>

>It seems to me what we really want is more than a changelog but a proper
>release announcement.  I want a journalist who has hardly heard of Wine
>to read the page and understand what we've done and why it's great.

We need BOTH a change log and the press release.  The Press release needs to highlight the changes like adding Windows-on-Windows 64 code and the ability to work with .NET 2.0.  The Changelog should be extremely detailed and directed at the user to advise what was fixed and what is still broken or will be broken by using this release.

>I've created a rough skeleton of things to have here:
>http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine1.2Announcement
>
>I'm very busy at the Ubuntu Developer Summit at the moment but I'll put
>some good work into it soon.

Thank you for starting work on the announcement.  The changelog will be a much more lengthy work.

James McKenzie