Steam hardware survey causing crashes (so next round of statistics will under-represent Wine users)

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:51:21 CDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> Just a small note but occasionally we hear from Valve about steam
> statistics and the percentage of Wine users.
>
> I just got a crash from running the survey.  It makes me pretty unlikely
> to click the button again, even if it doesn't crash in the future.  I
> imagine other users would feel similarly.
>
> This means we might be substantially underestimating Wine users if we
> use the Valve hardware survey as a basis.  Last I remember we were at
> 0.4% or so, but that was over a year ago.

This is some thing new with the major refresh they did recently and is
easily reproducible by going to Help -> System Information in the main
Steam window.

Console output resulting from the profiler running:
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one breg (18 -> 24)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one breg (17 -> 23)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one breg (17 -> 23)