software built and worked under wine but not in vista?

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 19 16:55:52 CDT 2010

--- On Wed, 19/5/10, Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt> wrote:

> I sorry for stepping into Alexandre's
> or Dmitry's shoes, but..
>
> * On Tue, 18 May 2010, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> >
> > So it seems that setupgs.exe is mis-compiled under
> wine with win7 sdk
> > but just happened to also work under wine. Any idea
> how it might happen?
>
> ... there could be a pair of bugs: one in PE image
> manipulation functions
> plus another in Wine PE loading mechanism(s).
>
> I could imagine the first easily inside a IMAGEHLP, eg.
> functions
> ImageAddCertificate() or CheckSumMappedFile().
>
> If you find the first one, then it should be possible to
> write a test to
> reveal the second one.
>
> > I have checked things like end-of-line, but it is
> curious why the
> > setupgs program works under wine but not in vista, the
> reverse situation
> > compared to most.
>
> Could you build the same project under real Windows?
>
> Then I would run "winedump dump -f" or even "-x" on both
> files to compare
> the outputs (probably line by line) and to find the
> essential difference.

I am thinking of doing it under real windows. I built it twice under wine and the binaries are identical except for 6 bytes (probably date stamps), so if I build the same snapshot with the same compiler under Vista and the same build procedure, I would expect the the result would be similiarly differ by 6 bytes only, if the compiler/wine works the same way as compiler/vista.

I'll try it now and see how it goes.