performance bot results - this time with screensaver off

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed May 19 19:41:52 CDT 2010

Every benchmark did at least a little better, and 3dmark2001 did a lot
better, today:
http://kegel.com/wine/yagmarkdata/E8400-GT_220-Ubuntu_10.04_LTS-e8400-wine-1.1.44-322.html

Why?  Well, there are oodles of processes running in Gnome by default,
plus the workrave app I use for my RSI.  I had killed some of
them on the benchmark machine earlier, but forgot to kill
them again after rebooting; just noticed that last night.  Today's
results are with three more processes killed: workrave,
gnome-screensaver, and bluetooth-applet.
That might help explain the results a bit.

I did 'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop' just now, rebooted,
edited ~/.pulse/client.conf to disable pulseaudio autospawn,
and killed
pulseaudio xscreensaver update-notifier
/usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py
/usr/lib/gvfs//gvfs-fuse-daemon bluetooth-applet
There are now 'only' 148 or so processes in my idle system, only 29 of which
are the interactive user; it seems fairly stripped down.
I also ran nvidia-settings again to pick 'maximum performance' rather
than adaptive,
and told xfce to never blank the monitor.  Let's see if all that makes
a difference.
(I need to make a big checklist of Things To Do After Rebooting.)
- Dan