software built and worked under wine but not in vista?

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 19 20:54:40 CDT 2010

Saulius Krasuckas wrote:
> I sorry for stepping into Alexandre's or Dmitry's shoes, but..
>
> * On Tue, 18 May 2010, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>> So it seems that setupgs.exe is mis-compiled under wine with win7 sdk
>> but just happened to also work under wine. Any idea how it might happen?
>
> ... there could be a pair of bugs: one in PE image manipulation functions
> plus another in Wine PE loading mechanism(s).
>
> I could imagine the first easily inside a IMAGEHLP, eg. functions
> ImageAddCertificate() or CheckSumMappedFile().
>
> If you find the first one, then it should be possible to write a test to
> reveal the second one.
>
>> I have checked things like end-of-line, but it is curious why the
>> setupgs program works under wine but not in vista, the reverse situation
>> compared to most.
>
> Could you build the same project under real Windows?
>
> Then I would run "winedump dump -f" or even "-x" on both files to compare
> the outputs (probably line by line) and to find the essential difference.

I have gone ahead and done exactly that - the correct behavior should be a msg
box saying filelist.txt is missing, rather than setupgs.exe not a valid win32
application.

http://www.ghostscript.com/~hintak/setupgs-vista.exe
http://www.ghostscript.com/~hintak/setupgs-wine.exe

I haven't tried the uninstaller yet, so I don't know if the wine-built
uninstaller work:

http://www.ghostscript.com/~hintak/uninstgs-vista.exe
http://www.ghostscript.com/~hintak/uninstgs-wine.exe

To analyse the executables are a bit beyond me, but I hope somebody can do that.

under either system, if I compile the file twice quickly, the result differs
only by the datestamp and checksum (and in two wine-compiled executable built a
bit of time between , also a few bytes in the .text section after what looks
like an import table in a hex editor?