make "bisected" a keyword in bugzilla?

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun May 23 08:39:14 CDT 2010

Ideally all regressions would be bisected, but that's clearly not the
case. You can of course argue about terminology and / or mechanism,
but I think it's useful to distinguish "possible" regressions from
confirmed regressions with a commit id. Personally I think it would be
nice if bugzilla could give me a list of commit id's and associated
bugs, so I could use git and some scripting to do additional
processing on that.

Perhaps the real issue is that the list of regressions is large enough
that it becomes somewhat impractical to go through them on a regular
basis to look for regressions that aren't bisected yet though. There
are currently 338 bugs with the regression keyword, of which 64 have
the directx-d3d or directx-ddraw component. I'm currently CC'd on 10
of those, most of which are not so easy to fix for one reason or
another. In my personal experience, the majority of regressions aren't
necessarily a problem with the original patch, but rather existing
problems becoming more visible, etc. Perhaps that's different between
different developers and different components though.

It doesn't really matter who's fault a particular regression is
though, what it comes down to is that you touched something, and now
it's broken. So if I'd be reviewing a wined3d patch from someone, I'd
balance the likelihood of that patch / developer breaking something
versus how likely it is that that developer is going to fix it in a
timely fashion when it does break.