bricscad goes native

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Tue May 25 12:58:54 CDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed.  One should never release naked winelib apps.
>>> Instead, one should bundle the windows version
>>> with a private copy of Wine, like Picasa (and
>>> now at least one other app) have done.
>>
>> Why is that better?  What's the point of winelib then?
>
> Winelib is mostly useful when recompiling a windows app to
> run on a non-x86 platform (where win32 compilers aren't available).

Ah, that makes sense.

> In either case, you probably want to bundle the Wine runtime
> with the app rather than trying to run against whatever Wine
> the user has.

I guess this is because wine is such a moving target?  It seems a
shame to bundle a copy of wine with every single app, although I can
definitely see how commercial products would want to do that to
improve repeatability.  One would hope that all the automated testing
wine is doing lately would reduce the need for this kind of thing
eventually.

Thanks,

Avery