Release plans

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed May 26 08:28:47 CDT 2010

Hi,

James Mckenzie wrote:
>Defaulting to $HOME/Desktop and $HOME/Documents is a good first step.
There are more directories: Music, Videos(Movies?), Pictures that IMHO such a
patch should add at the same time since that's what MS knows about as well.

Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>I haven't used Tiger in ages, but at least for me on Snow Leopard, I
>can't delete those directories, since OSX considers them 'essential to
>OS function'. The likelihood of them missing is small, IMHO.
Likelihood is not my friend.  ls -le (or was it ls -l@?) will show the
security attributes. You'll see that some of the directories have an ACL
that prevents them from deletion despite the UNIX chmod flags that ls -l shows.

What puzzled me is that in an extra login account I created on my Mac,
not all of these directories were initially created. Furthermore,
some of these dirs in /Users/admin/ did not have the extra access
control protection against deletion, while other dirs of same name
in another login had them! (I then added the ACL manually, with chmod IIRC).
That's why I conjecture the existence of a "create on demand" Mac
OS API, that possibly not everybody uses.

mkdir("Videos"); is enough on Linux, but perhaps there's a more
 "OS-integrated" way in MacOS?

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle