Call for translators

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Fri May 28 04:58:06 CDT 2010

Helo Frédéric

Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:52, Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The code freeze for Wine-1.2 has started and we are now in a weekly
>> release candidate cycle. This is an ideal moment for translation work.
>>
>> The current translations status page
>> http://source.winehq.org/transl/index.php shows four (4) languages at a
>> 100%. Please help us have more fully translated languages for Wine-1.2. Also
>> fixing the errors in the translations (21 languages affected) would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regarding the translation percentage in
> http://source.winehq.org/transl/index.php, especially
> the pedantic mode, is it possible to mark some of the warning as non
> valid (e.g. when the translation
> is the same than the English version, which sometimes occurs in French
> [e.g. "OK"])?
>
> Marking resource files for these occurrences is probably non
> desirable, but what about something like a
> probably some kind of "language-specific-warning-exclusion-system").
>
> Is that feasible?
Not really. The translation statistics page is generated every time
afresh from the Wine source code; it doesn't keep state. It would be a
significant amount of work to do that. Probably more than fixing it The
Right Way(TM) aka making Wine use PO files. With PO files there isn't
the need to copy untranslated strings just to not break a resource. And
with that the pedantic mode becomes less useful and we can use other
existing PO based "verify translation" tools, e.g.
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/checking_for_inconsistencies
So if you would have translated "OK" to "OK" but also some of them to
"Oui" you would get notified about that.

> This would allow an easier review of the warnings Pedantic mode gives.
> <...>

bye
	michael