Call for translators

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Fri May 28 17:49:58 CDT 2010

2010/5/28 Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>:
> On 05/28/2010 11:58 AM, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>>
>> Helo Frédéric
>>
>> Frédéric Delanoy wrote:

>>> <...>
>>> Marking resource files for these occurrences is probably non
>>> desirable, but what about something like a
>>> probably some kind of "language-specific-warning-exclusion-system").
>>>
>>> Is that feasible?
>>
>> Not really. The translation statistics page is generated every time
>> afresh from the Wine source code; it doesn't keep state. It would be a
>> significant amount of work to do that. Probably more than fixing it The
>> Right Way(TM) aka making Wine use PO files. With PO files there isn't
>> the need to copy untranslated strings just to not break a resource.
>> <...>
>
> But what about the different sized controls for some languages? I agree
> though that po files are more accessible to a wider audience
>
> I totally agree (and have already talked to Francois a few times about this)
> that we need a nicer/better way for translators to help us out.

Well, MENUs and STRINGTABLEs don't specify any size, so should be OK to
"extract" in a po file (even if a mechanism po -> rc [maybe with
macro/placeholders
 would have to be created).
Of course, for dialog strings, size specifications matters a lot, but
extracting them
as well in a po file, and specifying the size in the rc file would
probably a pain to
maintain. OTOH, keeping them in the rc allows easier modifications
(e.g. with tools like
ResHacker).

Would a mixed approach make sense, or simply add unneeded complexity?
Would it allow (at least partial) more translators to join? Debatable.

Other potential pitfall: the menu accelerators. You have to ensure
that no two entries
use the same accelerator in the same menu/submenu. And translators might wonder
wtf those '&' stand for.

> Maybe a nice item for the next WineConf?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

My 2 ¢