kernel32 nls file codepage conversion

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Sat May 29 12:22:35 CDT 2010

Hi folks,

I'm intending to convert dlls/kernel32/nls/fr.nls from CP 1252 to CP
65001 (UTF-8), but I've some questions first:
- most nls files are non-UTF8... is it intended? or just "legacy"?
- can LOCALE_IDEFAULTANSICODEPAGE be set to 65001 or should it be left
at its current "1252" value, i.e. is it necessary for compatibility
with older win versions where UTF-8 is not the default (correct me if
I'm wrong)?
- LOCALE_SCURRENCY is set to char code 80 (<80> in vim). What is that
exactly? The code for the euro sign in a specific  code page? which
one?

Frédéric