Call for translators

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon May 31 06:20:02 CDT 2010

Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 21:32 +0200, Paul Vriens wrote:
>> On 05/28/2010 11:58 AM, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>>> Not really. The translation statistics page is generated every time
>>> afresh from the Wine source code; it doesn't keep state. It would be a
>>> significant amount of work to do that. Probably more than fixing it The
>>> Right Way(TM) aka making Wine use PO files. With PO files there isn't
>>> the need to copy untranslated strings just to not break a resource. And
>>> with that the pedantic mode becomes less useful and we can use other
>>> existing PO based "verify translation" tools, e.g.
>>> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/checking_for_inconsistencies
>>> So if you would have translated "OK" to "OK" but also some of them to
>>> "Oui" you would get notified about that.
>> But what about the different sized controls for some languages? I agree
>> though that po files are more accessible to a wider audience
>
> I thought about that a bit with rc2po.  I never implemented it but I
> would use user comments to allow configuration settings to be changed.
>
> E.g.
>
> # @RC-Size: 15, 110, 230, 55
> msgid "Save"
> msgstr "Stoor"
>
> So anything that would need to be changed could be put in those comments
> and edited by a translator.
>
> But if Wine was to move to PO files the right approach might be to build
> RC files from PO files instead of the current approach.
Alexandre actually has this on his extended todo list when he has too
much spare time. The idea is to have wrc directly read the PO files
without the intermediate rc files. Ideally wrc should be able to
calculate the needed resource size too; though no clue how much effort
that would be.

bye
	michael