AUTHORS list and the C locale on Mac OS X

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Wed Nov 10 17:13:16 CST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 5:00 PM, Reece Dunn wrote:

> I'm getting the same behaviour (Ubuntu 10.10) -- LC_ALL accepts either
> utf8 or UTF-8 for en_GB, en_IE, etc. The caveat here is that the
> primary locale needs to exist (and presumably needs to have a UTF-8
> valiant present).
>
> That is, as I don't have a French locale (fr_FR) installed on my
> machine, the following reports errors:
>
> LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8 locale
>
> This means that systems that don't have the English locale installed
> (en_US or en_GB, whichever is chosen) will still fail.

Understood.

> What is wrong with iterating over the content of `locale -a` or
> `locale -a | grep -F utf8` to find a UTF-8 based locale? Or even:
>
> LC_ALL=`locale -a | grep -F utf8 | head -n 1` sed ... authors.c

Nothing's terribly wrong, although I'd make that grep check for either "utf8" or "UTF-8", or it won't work on Mac OS X.

The main point of my first email was the vain hope that setting LC_CTYPE=UTF-8 would be enough, but that hope was dashed.  I sent the email, anyway, for no great reason.

Regards,
Ken