AUTHORS list and the C locale on Mac OS X

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 17:00:44 CST 2010

--- On Wed, 10/11/10, Ken Thomases <ken at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> I should have been clearer.  The output just reflects
> your environment.  So, you have LANG set to
> en_GB.utf8.  I had LANG set to en_US.UTF-8.  My
> only point was to say that the "UTF-8" form is
> acceptable.  It was not to suggest that "utf8" is not,
> nor that one or the other is a standard.
>
> The real question is: does the Linux C library accept
> 'UTF-8' in the environment variables?  I believe it
> does, which is useful because that's what Mac OS X
> requires.  (It doesn't accept "utf8".)
>
> For example, the following reports just fine on some Linux
> systems here:
>
> LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8 locale
>
> As does your case:
>
> LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8 locale
>
> But the following both produce some diagnostics indicating
> that the C library is choking on the value:
>
> LC_ALL=en_GB.bogus locale
> LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-9 locale
>
> I take this to mean it's a legitimate test of whether a
> value is valid.  Further, it indicates that (at least
> some) Linuxes take either form.

On my system (fedora 14 x86_64), the valid locales are stored in:
/usr/share/X11/locale/
and part of libX11-common

together with /usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias which defines aliases (like the lowercase/uppercase with without "-" above).

I had an impression that these things used to be glibc-common or glibc-locale, but it seems that they have moved.