RTL in console windows

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 06:57:16 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>wrote:

> On 15/10/10 16:06, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
>

>> So my dillema is as follows:
>> Should we continue helping improving the support of displaying RTL
>> languages in wineconsole or should we just ignore the CLI strings like MS
>> did with all of their OSes (Since Windows XP Hebrew is no longer supported
>> officially, meaning that you have to apply 3rd party patches in order to
>> make Hebrew text appear in cmd), Hebrew in command line is only used by some
>> old healthcare services and lots of old games and ancient word processors
>> and database apps (some of them died after Windows dominated the market).
>>
> If Windows doesn't do it, I don't think we should.

Assuming Wine should offer support to versions prior to Windows XP there
should be a support.

> Then again, it is my understanding that in some places, Windows does do it.
> Powershell, was pointed out by Michael Kaplan (
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2010/10/07/10072032.aspx - myth
> 6). I have not tested it myself, but if that is correct, we need to do it
> like Windows does it, under the same circumstances.
>

>> Another vital question I want to to this message is to ask our fellow
>> Arabic and Persian speakers what do they have to say about this issue and if
>> their propriatery operating systems has the same issues...
>>
> This is irrelevant. Our standard of operation is "what Windows does".

I was not asking what the Arabs or Persian did, I was asking if Microsoft
did the same with the Arabic and Persian versions of Windows.
Arabs and Persians, please tell us how did Windows versions prior to XP
natively handled your languages in console windows (cmd/command etc.).